Below is a photo of construction of the Garden of the Gods Club in May 1950, taken from the club’s Web site, http://gardenofthegodsclub.com, showing developer Al Hill, third from left, overseeing work on his project. He conceived it as a luxury summertime-only tennis and social club with guest rooms.
The Kissing Camels Estates housing development began at the same time but, according to the Web site, it was years before Hill was convinced to include a golf course. The original 18-hole course opened in 1961, 10 years after the club.
The map, below, shows Sunrise Co.’s plans for adding 700 homes to the community. Most will be south of the Garden of the Gods Club, west of Mesa Road, along the eastern perimeter of the golf course and south of Fillmore Street.
Sunrise Co. reportedly has backed off plans for bridges, including the one over Mesa shown in the blueprint below. The bridges were part of a plan to enhance security by installing “dramatic gates and privacy walls,” according to a July 9 letter to residents from William Bone, founder and chairman of Sunrise.